Apart from adding gas to an automobile, changing a car’s oil is one of the first maintenance jobs that many people learn. In fact, it is so common that many find it hard to believe that some very critical mistakes can be made during this “super easy” process. To help you learn from your mistakes (and so that you don’t have to repeat them), here is our list of the top 5 mistakes you’re making when changing your car’s oil and why it is sometimes better to leave it to the professionals.
- Using the wrong oil: Even the least mechanically inclined among us knows that motor oil comes in different viscosities and brands. Using oil that is too thin can increase the wear on your motor engine parts and lead to leaking seals. Oil that is too thick can cause increased fluid friction and engine poor performance.
- Not putting the oil filter on properly: A common mistake motorists make when changing out their own oil is not putting the filter on properly. And although this may sound like a relatively innocuous mistake it really is not. The filter keeps your oil clean and should be changed during each oil change service. Moreover, an improperly fitted filter can cause your engine to leak oil.
- Over or under filling: Your car needs a specific amount of oil to keep the engine properly lubricated. Placing the wrong amount into your car can cause wear and friction on motor parts. Therefore, you should use the recommended amount of oil for your car.
- Forgetting to replace the oil cap: As unlikely a mistake as it may seem, some people forget to put the oil cap back on after filling up. Generally, your check engine light will be triggered when this occurs. However, if you are not paying attention your oil can spray out all over the engine compartment, leaving none to lubricate the motor.
- Striping the drain plug threads: This is among the most serious mistakes DIYers can make when changing their own oil. The result can be a slow leak and a not-so-easy fix.
So you see this “easy” maintenance job can be quite involved and should be handled with the utmost care. We offer you a synthetic oil change and can address any underlying issues with your car while we are doing so. We know all the mistakes that can be made and in doing so know how to avoid them so that this task runs smoothly along with your car.