With the constant change in oil prices, car owners are always concerned about how they can save gas and money while driving. This post will give you tips on how you can reduce your gas consumption and save money. Always have your car tuned-up regularly. If your engine is in bad operating condition it will burn more gasoline. Vehicle maintenance will help your engine run efficiently thereby saving you money. Clean or change congested air filters to enhance your fuel mileage by as much as 10%. These are just a few common sense tips for improving fuel economy. Here are 8 more:
- Maintain a steady rate when driving your car: Frequent stops when driving adds to your gas expenditure by as much as 30%. Imagine if you spend $3.00 per gallon, you lose $9.00 for every 10 gallons of gas that you consume. Also, avoid sudden stops and abrupt increases in speed. Make use of “cruise control” when you are driving on the highway. This will allow you to maintain a steady speed and avoid wasting gas.
- Avoid heavy traffic areas: Also avoid unnecessary use of the clutch.
- Buy gas during the coolest hours of the day: Ideally, you should purchase your fuel early in the morning or at night.
- Close your car windows when you are driving on the highway: When your windows are closed the aerodynamics are better than when they are open since it lessens the drag on the vehicle. Gaping windows cause extra friction and reduce your car’s mileage.
- Minimize the use of air conditioners when it is not necessary: Use your car’s vents if possible. If you really need to use your air conditioner, try to set it as low as possible.
- Do not let your engine idle when not driving: Turn off your engine when you need to wait for a time longer than a minute. If your car is idle for more than one minute, it uses the same amount of gas that you would use when you are restarting the engine.
- Decrease your car’s load: The heavier the car, the more gas it will consume.
- Make sure that your tires are properly inflated: Tires with appropriate pressure save fuel better than under-filled or over-filled tires.
This may seem like a lot of work just to keep your car running efficiently, but it is not. If you want to save money while protecting the environment then these steps are necessary at a minimum. We can help you with a synthetic oil change. Along with our oil change service, we can also inspect your other fluids and your entire car to make sure that you can head back out on the road safely.